The Rotary Club of Wandin plays an active role in the community, with members having a lot of fun together yet uniting to create lasting change both locally and internationally.
Local activities include:
- Annual Yarra Valley Beer and Cider Festival in Lilydale. 2018 proceeds to be directed to youth programs associated with domestic health (domestic violence; addiction to drugs alcohol and gambling; homelessness; youth suicide; depression and unemployment).
- Monthly Custom Car and Bike Show donates $20,000 to Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal.
- Established the first EarlyAct club in this Rotary District – a club engaging year 5 and 6 students from the local Coldstream Primary School in community action.
- Mentoring students in a local school supporting student with social and emotional disadvantages.
- Australia Day Breakfast celebrations.
- Community acknowledgement through remembrance services on ANZAC day and Remembrance Day.
- Sponsoring youth in leadership programs such as RYPEN, Rotary Youth Program of Assistance, and RYLA, Rotary Youth Leadership Awards.
- Mentoring students at CIRE.
- Fire and drought relief support.
- Over three years our Rotary Club has raised $100,000 (an average of $4,000 per member) through encouraging community engagement and support for Interplast which provide pro bono surgical support to disadvantaged communities in countries such as the Philippines, Fiji and Papua New Guinea.
- With help from the Bill Gates Foundation, Rotary via Polio Plus has virtually eliminated polio from the world.
- Provide targeted medical care to severely injured or deformed children through ROMAC, Rotary Oceanic Medical Aid for Children.
- Donations of money and equipment and food to overseas emergencies such as cyclone ravaged Vanuatu and the Nepal earthquake relief efforts.